Probably my favorite quote.
- Sit alone in a quiet place and listen to your breathing. Try to hear your heart beat. When thoughts come don’t resist them. Don’t reply to them either. Let them come and go on their own.
- Read a book in a quiet place, preferably something that brings you peace.
- Exercise. Pick an activity or series of exercises you enjoy. Focus on every rep/movement. Listen to calming music or nothing at all. Focus on your breathing and the muscles at work.
- List ten things you are thankful for.
- Talk to someone about the things on your mind or write them down.
- Go to a park, your backyard, or somewhere you can just listen to the birds and the wind in the trees.
- Go to a beach and listen to the waves. Maybe walk down the beach with your feet in the water or go for a swim.
- Go to a swimming pool and tread water on your back with your ears in the water so you can’t hear anything and look up at the sky. Focus on your breathing. Or go under water and hold your breath for as long as you can before it becomes stressful. Do it several times.
- Help someone with a problem.